about the brand
Article 22 Virtuous Full Circle Necklace
“Peace is the bomb.” That’s the motto of Article 22, a jewellery company named after the 22nd article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Using the metal from unexploded landmines and melted-down shrapnel left behind in Laos during the Vietnam War, they transform the negative into a positive with their line of ethically created jewellery.
Inspired by Article 22’s favorite shape, the circle, their Virtuous Circle necklace on a sterling silver chain transforms bad karma into good karma and represents infinite positivity. This universal symbol is also Article 22’s model : the more Peacebomb Jewelry that is worn and shared,the more awareness and funds are raised for MAG (Mines Advisory Group) to clear the 80 million unexploded bombs contaminating land in Laos, the more shrapnel for Laotian artisans to transform into designs that develop their craft and enterprise. Each part of this sustainable supply chain is powered by agents of change, from artisans to deminers to fashion buyers. It is a movement of reconciliation, transformation, and hope that is expressed through their jewelry, worn and shared across the globe. .
HOW IS IT MADE?
- Created in Laos by local artisans who melt down the metal from war debris, including unexploded landmines, left behind after the Vietnam War.
- Proceeds are reinvested to continue to clear contaminated land. Your purchase contributes to MAG (Mines Advisory Group) to safely & expertly clear some of the 80 million unexploded bombs contaminating land in Laos
- This purchase clears 7m2 of Laotian landscape
- Each piece gives back to support traditional Laotian artisan livelihoods, village development and community endeavors
- Article 22 pays local artisans at least 5 times the local minimum wage
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
- Each piece of Article 22 jewellery comes with a story card and a canvas drawstring bag, making it a perfect gift idea