about the brand
Article 22 Engraved Mantra bracelet
“Peace is the bomb.” That’s the motto of Article 22, a jewellery company named after the 22nd article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Using the metal from unexploded landmines and melted-down shrapnel left behind in Laos during the Vietnam War, they transform the negative into a positive with their line of ethically created jewellery.
Engraved mantra bangles remind us that peace first begins within ourselves. Designed in collaboration with model and activist Angela Lindvall who told Vogue, “I liked the idea of my message being ‘Peace begins with me.’ There are so many things in the world that are overwhelming—socially, environmentally, politically, economically—and [I want to focus on what we] as individuals can do on a daily basis to create peace within ourselves and then project that to others. Our human potential is amazing.”
HOW IS IT MADE?
- Created in Laos by local artisans who melt down the metal from war debris, including unexploded landmines, left behind after the Vietnam War.
- Proceeds are reinvested to continue to clear contaminated land. Your purchase contributes to MAG (Mines Advisory Group) to safely & expertly clear some of the 80 million unexploded bombs contaminating land in Laos
- This purchase clears 5m2 of Laotian landscape
- Each piece gives back to support traditional Laotian artisan livelihoods, village development and community endeavors
- Article 22 pays local artisans at least 5 times the local minimum wage
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
- Each piece of Article 22 jewellery comes with a story card and a canvas drawstring bag, making it a perfect gift idea
Out of stock